Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I+H: General Conference 2008

I don't have much time before leaving for the airport, but I am heading for Fort Worth for 10 days for the United Methodist Church General Conference. Every four years, delegates from around the world meet in the US to rewrite the rule book of the church–the Book of Discipline–and approve the budget for the next four years.

I was elected as an alternate delegate for the delegation from Northern Illinois, and I think our church needs to be open to be people of all ages, races, classes, gender identities, and sexual orientations: every human category. We are all children of God. My experience in Chicago and at my church, Holy Covenant UMC, has taught me that if we're going to bother with church at all, we need to be open to everybody. Shutting anyone out from community, from the sacraments, or from the opportunity to serve and give is contrary to Biblical teaching. Open the doors!

I will be blogging and posting photos to this location, the Holy Covenant Facebook page, and to a blog for the Reconciling Ministries Network.

No comments: