Monday, November 14, 2005

Interesting: Review of "Working Poor"

The Working Poor by David Shipler is the kind of book I always check out of the library but never find the time to read. Luckily (??) I'm home sick today with no voice, so I got a chance to actually finish it, and I'm very glad I did. Shipler interviews hundreds of poor people from all over the country and gives a striking picture of the numerous, intertwined causes and efffects of poverty in America.

It's not just drugs, or poor education, or bad jobs, or unaffordable housing, or the lack of access to health care, or alcoholism, or bad choices, or bad luck, or bad parenting, or sexual abuse, or mental illness, or red tape, or domestic violence. All of these things are factors, and without a holistic solution, we're not getting anywhere.

10 random books from my collection, my wishlist, and my library check-outs are listed near the bottom of the sidebar, so feel free to take a look. Have you read anything good lately?

No comments: