Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Helpful: February Book reviews



When I say "unfinished" I mean "This book sucked so I got rid of it." Soul Prints is written by a Kabbalist rabbi, and it's out-of-this-world hokey. The Headhunter's Edge is just an ego pump from some headhunter guy. How to find the best talent? Be like me: have Jack Welsh, Steve Jobs, etc. on your speed dial and build great relationships with them. Easy enough right?

The Nick Hornby book was what inspired me to chart my book reading in the first place, so that I highly recommended, of course. I couldn't put it down. I had only read How to be Good before this month, and I think I'll be looking for High Fidelity sometime soon.

Bowling Alone has been on my wishlist for about 3 years, and I finally picked it up at the Lincoln Park library. Super book. A friend recently called me a "joiner," and after reading this book, I take it as a compliment. Putnam shows (through gobs and gobs of research) that part of the reason our communities are weakening is that no one seems to join clubs, host dinner parties, play in bowling leagues, etc. anymore. TV and suburban sprawl seem to be the biggest factors. This is great, because now I can say that hosting a poker game is not gambling, per se, but doing my civic duty. Fantastic.

Speaking of poker, Phil Helmuth is a tool. He's annoying to watch, must be annoying to play with, and his book is ridiculous. The cover actually refers to him as "The World's Greatest Poker Player." The introduction politely asks the reader not to try all of the fantastic tips from Phil at one time, and not to be frustrated if you don't grasp them all right away. What a clown. The bulk of his advice? Don't play bad hands. And don't bluff, especially if you're playing against Phil. That makes him really mad. Dork.

Risk was a book someone sent Cindy to review. The message: Be afraid of cigarettes, fatty food and car accidents. Cellphone radiation...not so much.

Phew, that was kind of fun. Next month I'll probably put links in for each one, but oh well.

No comments: